Writers, to ensure consistency in your book (or series), prepare a style sheet. Here are the items we recommend including in your style sheet for each book:
- Characters’ names. Include their full names (if applicable), physical features, ages, relationships to other characters, and other distinguishing characteristics.
- A brief time line. Note the days/times and a brief description of what’s covered in each chapter.
- Real names: brands, companies, places, people, etc. (Verify that they’re spelled and capitalized correctly.)
- Foreign words and phrases. (Verify that they’re spelled, capitalized, and used correctly.)
- Quoted material. (Verify that it’s spelled, capitalized, and credited correctly. Be prepared to pay licensing fees, if applicable.)
- Intentional exceptions to grammar or spelling rules. (Here at Medallion, we rely on Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster.)
- Habit words and phrases. (Try to reduce these.)
Your style sheet will help you clear up the details of your manuscript. The end result will be a more inviting world for your readers to dive into.